Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Proposal

On a Tuesday back in May, Matt asked me if I wanted to go on a surprise adventure the next Saturday. Since "surprise" and "adventure" are two of my favorite words, I heartily agreed. Of course, I was hoping that it would be the proposal, but I knew there was no way he would be able to get the ring that quickly, that I decided it was probably a trip to the amusement park Lagoon, since we'd been talking about that all week.

About an hour before he picked me up for the surprise adventure, he called sounding completely dejected. "You know that surprise I had scheduled for today?" he said. "It was depended on the weather and isn't going to work out, so let's go to the temple instead." It made perfect sense to me-- it was raining so Lagoon must have closed. And since we hadn't been to the temple in a few weeks, it seemed like a very nice idea.

When he showed up, I asked him what the surprise was going to be and he said he'd tell me at the temple. Obviously, this indicated to me that it was NOT a trip to Lagoon and must therefore be the proposal. It sort of worked out well because then I had the whole time at the temple to calm my nerves and become even more sure that marrying Matt was the right thing to do.

We had a lovely time at the temple and as we left, just like I figured he would, Matt said we should take a walk around the grounds. He found a private corner and said that he was sorry our adventure had been ruined and that we would do it another day, but he couldn't wait another moment. He then told me about the surprise he had planned: "I was going to pick you up, and we'd get on the highway and drive north. Then we'd go into Parley's Canyon to Park City and through Park City to Heber. At Heber we would drive to the airport and get on a plane. In the plane we would have flown to Thanksgiving Point where we met and circle around it a few times, then fly to Draper and see your house and then fly to the Draper Temple and circle around. While we were circling, I would have pulled this out of my pocked: "
It was his grandma's ring!! And the beautiful ruby ring I'd imagined, which he had managed to get super quickly, even though emerald cut rubies are pretty hard to find (he found this one online in Florida and had it sent lickidee-split.)

He got down on his knee and proceeded to give me a really beautiful speech (based on Proverbs 31:10-31, the reason I love rubies) about why he wanted to marry me. We both teared up a little and I said yes. Then we went right back into the temple and reserved a sealing room. When we came out we had our picture taken to memorialize the event.
Then we drove down to our favorite place Thanksgiving Point, and had dinner at the nice restaurant they have there. Everyone there was so excited that we'd just gotten engaged and it was a really delicious dinner full of lots of well-wishes. (I dreamed about those shrimp nachos for like a week afterwards. Yum!)
I just couldn't believe that Matt had CHARTERED A PLANE to propose to me! I should be used to it now because "storybook perfect" has sort of been the theme of my relationship with Matt.

P.S. Sometimes at school, I'm in charge of leading the students in art projects, and I usually give mine to Matt when I'm finished, and he puts them on his fridge. A few days before the scheduled proposal, I gave him this one:
Isn't that a funny coincidence?

2 comments: