Friday, May 20, 2016

Today's cuteness report

This morning, Adele was very adament that she needed to make "a pies for Daddy."  "Do you mean a 'surprise' for Daddy?"  No.  "Do you mean a 'pie' for Daddy?" No.  "Do you mean a prize for Daddy?"  Yes!!!  Over the course of the morning, we had this discussion about a dozen times and she was always very sure that she wanted a prize for Daddy.  She wanted this absolutely inconsolably, and even though I was dedicating all of my mental and emotional resources to helping her, she was unable to communicate at all what she wanted to do or what she needed from me.  Weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth that I wasn't helping her make a prize for Daddy.  She finally told me that she needed a tray.  I found a tray and gave it to her, and was happily surprised that she actually did mean "'tray."  She was overjoyed.  Then she and Ivar started struggling over control of the tray, and she seemed to lose interest in the subject.

When Dad woke up (he was sleeping in, since he'd been up large chunks of the night, having taken over night weaning responsibilities), I asked her if she wanted to give Dad his prize.  She perked up and joyfully ran around until she found her tray on her coloring table, and ran with it into the kitchen.  She came out a few minutes later with a bag of goldfish crackers and a bottle of water on the tray and yelled, "Pies Daddy!!!"  Turns out, she really meant "surprise."


It was pretty much the cutest thing I've ever seen.  I think she was trying to re-create the breakfast in bed we made him on his last day of college.

In other cuteness today, I lost my phone and when I finally found it, she said, "Good job, Mommy!  High five!"

I've been working on being a more connected mom and having less screen time.  I'm starting to see a difference.  Today we had one of those dream parenting moments you always imagine your life will be full of.  I had an kid on each knee and was alternating giving them a kiss while singing a song about how much I loved them.  They were laughing and laughing and giggling and having the time of their lives.  I'm pretty sure it is a moment I'll reflect on when I'm remembering raising children.

No comments:

Post a Comment