Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Fire and Ice

Let me tell you a true story from my own life.  A few nights ago, I was cuddly warm and happy in my bed, but my stomach was growling growling growling, and I knew I wouldn't be able to get to sleep until I got myself a snack.  But it was so cold outside of my covers!!! I was extraordinarily hesitant to get out of bed.  I realized there were some warm clothes on the floor right by my bed and I was able to reach them without letting too much of my heat escape.  Obviously, I had to warm them up under the blankets a few minutes before I could put them on.  Once that was accomplished, with great trepidation, I went to the kitchen, but started shivering so much I couldn't do anything until I found a heavy sweatshirt to put on.

At this point, I became curious as to the actual temperature.  Luckily, my hubby insists on having a clock (with seconds, set by the atomic clock daily) with an inside and outside thermometer in every room.  (I thought he was crazy when he first started setting them up, but  now I don't know how other people live without them.)  Shockingly, it was 70 degrees inside the house, so not really "cold" by any standards.

I made a sandwich and went back to bed to eat it.  In my bed, I discovered my husband happily and comfortably asleep WITHOUT a blanket and wearing only his underwear.  I heard once that marriage is spending the rest of your life in a cold bed next to someone who is too hot.  That seems to be the case with us.

(PS The night after that I literally woke Matt up with my shivering [cold air had gotten into my cocoon when I reached for my heating pad], and he was again outside the blankets with no pajamas and happy as a clam.)

1 comment: